Here at CSC, we are committed to bettering our community, especially through the transformative power of music. This year we are thrilled to partner with SickKids Foundation, in support of music programming at their in-hospital multi-use space called Marnie’s Studio. Net proceeds from all entry fees will be donated to this worthy cause.
About SickKids and Marnie’s Studio
Every year, more than 100,000 children come through the doors of SickKids. These children face a lot of big challenges – they are separated from their family and friends, experience fear and anxiety, and endure uncomfortable and painful procedures. Paediatric illness happens at a time when rapid cognitive, social, and motor development is taking place, therefore, how children experience care has a profound impact on their healing and growth. The ability to provide care in a way that protects patients’ childhood experience and improves outcomes is what makes SickKids so unique.
In June 2016, a newly updated Marnie’s Studio opened to expand the Hospital’s programming, providing kids with a larger place to play and create, and giving them the necessary materials and equipment to engage them in many different forms of art expression. Your competition registration fee will help enable some of the musical programs to run in Marnie’s Studio, such as:
- Live Performances: A stage, sound booth, theatrical lighting, seating and other elements allow for musical, theatrical, dance, magic, and comedy shows.
- Child Life TV: This program serves as the hub for 420 closed-circuit televisions located throughout the hospital, connecting patients confined to their rooms with interactive programming on a daily basis. The TV production studio also helps engage children by enabling programming to be made by kids, for kids.
- Multimedia Hour: Open time for patients and families to interact and share their experiences with others in a comfortable environment while utilizing multimedia, such as karaoke and composing music..
- Individual Patient Projects: Child Life specialists work with patients and their families who have a special interest or skill related to technology or music.
- Family Legacy Experiences: Families are able to utilize technology in the studio to capture memories and experiences planned to celebrate their child’s life and legacy. These experiences are tailored to each child and their family to create a special and memorable experience.